Bug Out Bag 72 Hour Survival Kit with Checklist Items
72 hour bug out bag checklist and survival gear kit.
OK - So you found us ! The home of our popular bug out bag. Below is a carefully selected list of items that could prove invaluable in a Bug Out situation. Slow down, take some time to read, follow the links, learn about each item and Read the detail to learn why each item is in this kit. Even if you don't need the whole kit- all of the components are available for sale separately. Many are unique, some are very hard to find, and all are at special low prices.
Bug Out Bag (BOB) Complete, Ready to Grab and Go Escape Bag. Sometimes called a Survival Go Go Kit. It contains everything you need (all the items listed below) for one person to get out ASAP and to survive in reasonable comfort for 3 days ( 72 Hours) or more. Combine the gear with some hunting, fishing, scavenging, or trapping skills .... you could survive for much longer. Just add water (and we help you get that too....)
Note 1: Due to recent world events - This kit is very popular - it comes with all the checklist items. If it says out of stock - put in your order anyway, that gets you in the queue. We are never out for more than 4 - 7 days. Our customers include ordinary citizens, families, churches, government agencies, and businesses. Our biggest volume customer so far has been the United States Coast Guard. What do they know that you don't know ?
Note 2: Due to vendor changes, and shortages, some of the items may differ from the photos. However the descriptions and links below accurately describe the current kit components.
You can also use the checklist below to assemble your own kit. You may already have some of the items around home. Click on the links below to get detailed information about each item and fill in your kit as required.
This Bail Out kit (often called a bug out bag) is insurance that you will have food, shelter and the tools you need. It is suitable for woodland, semi tropical, or semi arid desert environments.
Purchased separately, these items retail for well over $200. Save time and money by purchasing a ready to go kit here. The kit goal was to to balance price, quality, functionality, and flexibility. Some items are basic, others are premium quality where it counts.
Each kit ships UPS Ground for a flat fee of $22 to the lower 48 United States (no international, Alaska or Hawaii, sorry). So for under $150 - you have the kit, delivered to your door, ready to bug out.
If you add other items from our store they will incur separate shipping charges.
When natural or man made disaster strikes, whether it be flood, earthquake, tsunami (tidal wave), hurricane, epidemic, terrorism, chemical, nuclear, EMP, or biological attack, riots, civil unrest or other event that causes mass hysteria, you will want to get out of town quickly following a well designed plan. Leave with sufficient supplies; it may be a while until you can return home.
Filled with the items listed below this bag weights 8.5 pounds total weight - easy for most to carry. This emergency grab bag can be a start toward peace of mind. This bag is designed to hold the listed essentials inside. Many of the items serve double or even triple duty. The pack has extra room so you can can supplement it to your liking. When others are just beginning to realize there is a problem, you will be on your way out of town. Speed is important to avoid traffic jams or panicked hordes clogging escape routes.
All the items listed below fit in the tough mini daypack. The pack is small enough (15'' X 13.5'' X 7'' ) to store in an office desk drawer, car trunk, or closet at home. Yet it contains versatile, multifunction tools and supplies that permit you to adapt to a variety of climates, weather conditions and circumstances. At the end of the listing below you will find some suggestions for items you can add to customize the kit.. All items are shipped in their retail packaging. You are encouraged you to unpack them, review manuals, become familiar with their function, then re-pack them in the bug out bag daypack. Feel free to customize it with extra items of your own.
Bug out Check List and Review of Items and Functions (click Highlight for detailed product page):
* Mini Daypack Heavy Duty Wash Cotton Canvas (easy to waterproof with a spray like Scotchgard, Nikwax, Graingers or similar). Note also that it is olive drab, easy to camoflage or hide. It is not labeled "emergency kit" which could make you a target after a disaster. It sports a large 900 cu. inch top loading chamber, easy access outside pockets, padded adjustable straps, top carry handle for grab and go access, 2 side water bottle elastic pockets, and weighs just 18 ounces empty.
* 6 Wise Brand, 10 Year Shelf Life Dehydrated Meals . Long Shelf life means you don't have to worry about rotation. These will be ready when you need them. 2 servings per bag in case you need to share. Includes an assortment of Cheesy Lasagna, Creamy Chicken Pasta, and Noodles & Beef meals that range from 400 to 450 calories per foil pack each. Just add hot water to the foil pack, seal to rehydrate for 5 - 10 minutes, stir and eat. All have lots of protein (see details on product page). Note - the corners on the standard food package are sharp, we recommend a light trim with scissors to round them. This keeps them from perforating other food packs should you be forced to run while wearing the pack.
* Waterproof Tent Ultralight tube tent with setup rope. Easy to deploy quickly, this tent provides shelter to avoid exposure to the elements whether it be sun, wind, rain, snow, falling ash or other. Tough thick PVC plastic with floor. This tent folds flat for easy transport. No poles or complicated zippers to fail, just good basic shelter. Some ask why not have a regular tent. This is lighter, more compact and can fit more than one person AND gear inside. The plastic tent can be used as a rain collector - shape it to funnel rain water into catch basins.
* Space Blanket Mylar Sleeping Bag The Mylar fabric reflects your own body heat back to you. Formed into a sleeping bag shape. Keeps you warm. Shields wind and is water resistant. Reflective surface can also be used to signal for help, or deploy as a tarp by day to create shade and reflect heat away.
* Nalgene 32 Ounce water bottle with Activated Charcoal Filter Water filter bottle lets you clean water on the go. 32 Ounce large size stores a bunch. This is one part of a three part water strategy. At the onset of a disaster, grab any bottled water you can and take it with you. Second, use this bottle to collect water as you encounter flowing, reasonably clean sources. The third part is listed next.
* Solar Water Collection BagsQty 6 Clear plastic, Thick, Extra Tough 33 gallon trash bags. Wrap around deciduous tree leaves and plants and let plant transpiration and solar distillation do the work. This trick can provide up to one cup of clean, safe, potable water per hour per bag, even in the desert. They can also be used as a rain coat / pack cover /shelter if you must travel in the rain. Use to collect and store rainwater or as a solar still on dried streambeds. Gather and carry provisions if you are forced to scavenge supplies. Fill with air and tie a knot, use for flotation to cross streams or lakes. If exposed to Chemical or Biological agents - protocol is to strip down (do not pull shirt over face/head - tear or cut it off), stuff contaminated clothing into a plastic bag, seal. Then immediately wash and dress with uncontaminated clothing. So as you can see these have many uses.
* Map Compass Liquid filled compass with proper gradient scale markings for accurate navigation and map reading. Glow in the dark pointer and magnifying glass built in. Don't depend on your GPS during an emergency. The government can and will switch the entire system OFF, enemies will target the system, your batteries will run out. Your compass will still function for critical navigation. Be sure to obtain your own regional maps to supplement the kit. Also scroll down on this web page to use the interactive Nuclear Detonation tool below to help plan your escape from blasts and fallout in your area.
* Survival Knife with Fire Starter The stainless steel knife is a tough full tang knife that includes paracord and a handle design that lets you fashion a spear for survival, hunting, or spear fishing. A fire steel is integrated into the sheath for fast fire starting. Emits showers of sparks, even if wet.
* Fatwood Fuel and Fire Tinder The Fatwood sticks can be shaved to make fine tinder or used "as is" for primary fuel. Get a fire going even in wet conditions.
* Esbit Stove Kit and 6 Fuel Tabs Each Fuel Tab provides enough heat to boil a small pot of water for purification or use with the dehydrated meals. Can be lit and used in wet conditions. Handy when other fuels are in short supply or you want to cook in a quick or stealth mode (low smoke, short duration fire, limited light) Stove provides a stand for pot and folds to contain additional fuel tabs.
* Ultralight Mess Kit Aluminum Fry pan, Plate, small pot with lid and plastic cup. Catch wild game, frogs (legs), fish, or find bird eggs you can fry them up. Pot works well with Esbit stove to boil water for the dehydrated meals.
* Scork and Can Opener High quality, Stainless steel Spoon and Fork combination (Scork). The handle has a sturdy can opener that makes quick work of opening cans. Should you be forced to scavenge and be lucky enough to find can goods, you are prepared.
* 18 Inch Blade Machete with belt sheath. Attach to your belt or backpack and you will have the sturdy 18 Inch steel blade machete ready for use. Click here for (pdf) instructions on attaching the machete to the goFAST Bug Out Bag. Clear brush on trails for for camp, gather firewood or tinder, dig, hunt, or even self defense - it has a variety of uses. Easy to re-sharpen on a flat rock or similar surface.
* Ultralight LED 9V Flashlight The Pak Light is an ingenious and very small , bright LED flashlight that clips on a 9V transistor battery. Over 20 hours of flashlight use from a single 9Volt. Cap glows in the dark so it is easy to find if turned off. 9 Volt transistor batteries are easy to find in stores, or scavenge in a disaster scenario. They have a 5 year shelf life. Upgrade to a Lithium battery and you get 40+ hours of light and a 10 year shelf life. The LED is unbreakable so this will be a trustworthy light source when you need it most.
* Automatic Fishing Reels (2) . Essentially like a mouse trap for fish ! 15 feet of 60 lb test line on a spring loaded reel. When the fish strikes the spring trips and reels the fish in, keeping them alive and near shore for you to retrieve. The reels work unattended so you can go about your day and retrieve your catch when convenient. Add your own hooks, leaders and baits appropriate to your area. Can also be used as a trigger for small game nooses.
* Bens DEET bottle. This 98% DEET is the highest concentration you can buy. Liquid Gold when in the wilds. The key to survival might involve going where others fear to tread - deep into the woods, the swamp, through thick, infested brush. A few drops provides up to 10 hours of the ultimate protection from ticks, black flies, deer flies, chiggers, mosquitoes, no see ums, stable flies and fleas, and more. You may be traveling off road through brush, It is important to avoid bites, allergic reactions, and infections. Modern medicines and antibiotics will be hard to come by during a crisis. One bottle is enough for one person for a month.
* Sun Screen Mini Tin Dermatone Waterfree Sun Wind and Skin and Lip protection (SPF 15) was chosen for its ability to protect across a variety of temperatures and conditions. No water means it won't freeze on skin in cold like water based products (causing frostbite). Works well in extreme heat too.
* First Aid Kit Hard case Kit has 37 items (click to review) to take care of nicks, cuts, scrapes, blisters and more. Treat minor wounds properly to prevent major infections. Feel free to supplement this kit with extras from your medicine cabinet - to our personal kits we added tweezers, some fast melt Childrens Benadryl Tablets, Aspirin and Neosporin.
Below is a list of some items you might want to add on your own. Some can be found in your bathroom medicine closet. Others may be purchased locally (regional specific maps). There are also some items in the side bar that others have found useful in this kit.
Regional Road Maps You may be walking rather than driving if roads are impassable or clogged. These will be helpful to planning your escape route. Remember GPS may be disabled during an emergency.
Regional Topographical Maps Once you are off the road, these will be helpful in finding trails, fire roads, water sources and understanding the topography (climbs or steep cliffs) that you may be facing. You can use free resources such as Google Maps to cobble together custom maps. If you do be sure to print them on waterproof paper (sold in sidebar) and keep them in plastic sheet protectors or Alok Sak bags (also sold in sidebar) to preserve them. Practice your routes as a casual day hike, bike or weekend jaunt. It is wise to prescout trails, camps, and water collection sites.
Hard Candy and Foil Packaged Protein Bars will provide high energy but are low weight and long lasting.
Personal Prescriptions and Medications Supplement the hard case first aid kit (there is room). Benadryl tablets, aspirin and more can be added as you see fit.
Extra Fishing Line and Hooks (size appropriate to your area, fresh or salt water)
Waterproof Spray - Get a can of Scotch Guard or similar fabric waterproof spray and give the bag a once over treatment. Adds another layer of protection for the gear.
Toilet Paper - Obvious -- but also can be used to start fires.
Firearms. We like the Henry H002B Survival Rifle at a minimum. It costs less than $275, weighs only 2.5 lbs, uses .22 Long Rifle Ammo, disassembles and stores in its own stock, and even floats. It is essentially a new and improved version of the famous U.S. Air Force AR-7. We also like the Taurus Judge Handgun which is stainless steel and uses commonly available .410 shotshell or .45 ammo for flexibility, it makes a powerful short range defensive weapon.
Reading Glasses / Sun Glasses -- make sure you have the proper diopter power so that you can read medicine bottles & other fine print. This may mean a stronger pair than your everyday pair.
Anti Bacterial Bar Soap & Concentrated Antibacterial Liquid Soap - Anti Bacterial properties are important to reduce risk of infections. Both forms (solid and liquid) are important as they may have different uses. Bar forms can be used as soap, a dry lubricant, even fish bait - yes they are attacted to it. Concentrated liquid is amenable to sharing (few drops goes a long way) , quick emergency washing with little or no water (in case of chemical or biological exposure), and easy storage in the bottle.
Potassium Iodide Pills - While we do not sell them here, they can be very useful in the aftermath of a nuclear disaster. Be aware that these will sell out quickly at the hint of a nuclear threat. Get your supply NOW. They protect your thyroid while you get out of the fallout zone to safety. Read more at this website: http://www.ki4u.com/products1.php
Small AM/FM Transistor Radio get one powered by 9V batteries so you can share batteries with the flashlight sold above.
Nose and Mouth Mask available at Lowes and Home Depot type stores. Get the best you can afford, and get multipacks. These limit inhalation of contaminated particles. Anything is better than nothing but spending more here could be very beneficial in chemical , nuclear or biological attack. Most packaged filters carry ratings - look to get N99 Disposable Filters or better - they filter at least 99% of airborne particles. lf you can find the more expensive N100 Filters they will filter at least 99.7% of airborne particles. A small roll of medical tape can help you seal the filter to your face for greater effectiveness.
Extra Clothing Sealed in Clear Plastic or Vacuum sealed/air evacuated space saver bags If you are exposed to Chemical or Biological agents - protocol is to remove clothing, seal clothes in a plastic bag, mark as contaminated, wash your body, then put on clothing that has not been exposed. The only way to be sure is to have a set of clothing that is sealed. Extra clothing in Sealed bag also ensures they will be dry, vacuum sealing saves precious space. The Zip Vac Kit and extra bags (sold in sidebar) are useful for compression packing.
Hand Towels You probably don't have room for luxurious bath towels but a single hand or kitchen towel will be handy for clean ups.
Safety Goggles to keep eyes sheltered from contaminated particulate matter, chemicals and dust. Purchase the best you can afford and carry. Are these going offer the protection of a full hazardous material suit ? No, but the intent is to minimize exposure and get away fast.
Now that you have your bug out bag planned out. Spend some time with the interactive tool below to simulate potential nuclear attacks. You can map out damage and fallout wind patterns to help plan your escape:
Do you like new and interesting camping and backpacking items ? Then sign up for our MONTHLY New Product Newsletter below (Sample Here). We email the Newsletter just once a month, do not sell or otherwise divulge your emails. You can unsubcribe with one click (OK maybe 2 but who is counting ? ). The Newsletter summarizes any new products added in the prior month, highlights manufacturer updates to existing products, offers tips and tricks for use and often coupons for savings & freebies ! Newsletter recipients are also eligible for our monthly free prize drawing. Sign up below:
Who is goFASTandLIGHT.com ? We are a family run business with a real location and warehouse. Our primary value is as an aggregator of useful, low cost, purpose built backpacking, camping and preparedness gear. A "One Stop Shop" where you can get a variety of gear from one store in one shipment. We find and stock the unique items, the wierd stuff, the things you didn't know were out there. We are not an virtual Amazon or eBay drop shipper (who does not even own what they are selling). If it says "In Stock" on a product page - that means your items are physically in our warehouse waiting to ship to you, often within minutes. Want to talk to a real person ? Call us, Chat with us, We can answer your questions and give you the inside information on any product we sell. If it is in our store, We have used it, We believe in it, We know it.
Enjoy the Gear™ is our motto and our trademark.
Want to read what over 7800 actual customers think ?